Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #1
BandG

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Outdoor Refrigerator

I've had two outdoor refrigerators quit on me, so I'm looking for a sanity check.

The 1st failure was a PD model that was still under warranty and was replaced with another PD model (looked like an exact match).

That one worked OK for about 9 months & then we started seeing sporadic results. If we were at home, it would get contents cold. But once we hit the road using the inverter, it was hit and miss. Some stops would be cold and some stops we would find the inside contents to be warm.

Some times we could unplug for a bit & then get it going again. Other times, it wouldn't restart. But the next trip, it would work again. Not very trustworthy.

Since we don't have a large residential refrigerator, my plan all along was to use this for my beer cooler. I can't have cold beer getting hot...that's no bueno!

I have the stock Xantrex XPower 1000 modified sine wave inverter.
The manual states ...
"the inverter's high surge capability lets you handle many hard-to-start loads, including large TV's, refrigerators and small freezers".

I tested the outlets by plugging in other devices and they always had power (whether on shore power or running off inverter power).

I did check the outlet power output with a multi meter on both shore & inverter. Shore power checked out fine. BUT, on inverter power, instead of 120 volts, I was only getting 104 volts. Initially, I thought that was my problem.

However, the Trouble Shooting guide for the Inverter says for readings between 96-104 the most likely resolution is to upgrade my cheap Harbor Freight multi meter to one "that can accurately read True RMS voltage of a modified sine wave."

I was pretty confused at this point & really didn't feel like dropping $100 or more on a new multi meter (some are $300 or more!).

My thoughts are that maybe the refrigerator over-heated during travel due to high heat and poor circulation when the outdoor kitchen is all buttoned up.

So, I decided to take a gamble with my $100 on a new Sunbeam 2.7 cu ft refrigerator to replace the PD model. Similar dimensions to the old PD unit.

My super talented brother-in-law can seriously fix anything. He helped me wire in a fan to help circulate air flow in the outdoor kitchen compartment, in the top back corner of the outdoor kitchen. We figured hot air rises, so we'd be better off mounting it high.

He had an old computer fan & drilled many holes through the back wall to match the fan outline to make sure the air would be pushed out properly.
Once mounted, we put some wire mesh over the fan to keep fingers safe from any fan blades.

Under the cabinet, there is enough open air space to make sure I get a good pull of fresh air, so I didn't mess with anything there. I had a gap big enough that my fingers were able to get through from the top side of the rubber/plastic compartment bin.

I just finished a 4 day trip with the new design. During the 1st day, we left the campground for about 5 hours. When we returned, the sides of Sunbeam were hot. I didn't have the fan plugged in and I had the door shut during 90 degree temps that day (doh!). So, I kept the fan plugged in during the day from there on. At night, I unplugged the fan. Each morning, I would go out and check and the refrigerator was running but definitely not hot.

The trip home was great. It was only a 3 hour drive, but I had the fan running the whole time & when we got back, the refrigerator was working but cool to the touch. To be fair, the temps didn't hit 90 that day, but were in the mid 80's by the time we rolled home.

I'm not sure if this will be the right long term solution, but I figured if this is a
mistake, I'm only out $100.

Someday, I should probably upgrade to a True Sine Wave inverter, but hoping this set up will work for a few years.

Does this sound like a reasonable resolution to my refrigerator problems?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.