Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #18
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You need to learn the correct language and stop using all the wrong words. I is very hard to follow what you are talking about.

you have shore power, generator, ATS, Electric Panel box, Main breaker, sub breaker, Converter. In that order.

First off. NOTHING goes before the ATS. The chain of command is. Shore power cord connected to INPUT side of ATS. Generate connected to 2nd input side of ATS. RV electric panel box with Main breaker and sub breakers installed connected to OUTPUT side of ATS.

That's it!!! Shore Power, generator, Electric panel. Any load before the electric main breaker is a hack job and against NEC code. No load of any kind is before the panel main breaker.

Also you need to check the voltage at the shore power for 240 volts L1 to L2. And keep checking that all the way back to the main breaker. 240 volts at the main breaker. L1 to L2. You will not get 240 volts from the generator.

You EMS (miss named "surge Protector" needs to see 240 volts. Also your EMS has a 120 sec time dely. It will not pass voltage until it has gone thru it timed cycle.
Attached is picture of what I call surge protector. Southwire also calls it a Surge Protector and I don't see it referred to as EMS at all? https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...r-model-44270/
There is 240 vac across L1 and L2 at the pedestal, at this Surge protector 44270 from Southwire.

At what I call ATS - It is Southwire's Surge Guard model 40100 it has 240v across L1 and L2 on the input side (120vac each leg). This ATS model has no surge protection, but I don't think surge was an issue because the aforementioned surge protector Southwire 44270 was connected.

What I did do this morning at someone's suggestion was to fire up the generator and took measurements on plug end of the shore cord. I got 1.2vac on L1 and 1.0vac on L2.

I follow your questioning on why a 120 outlet is in front of ATS, but it is the required layout by Cummins Onan to fully utilize their EC-30. It was not installed by Winnebago this way but it is authorized option upgrade by Winnebago & Cummins installers. In fact once install Onam actually extends the warranty because they view owners with EC-30 wil better utilize their Onan Gensets due to the automation. Where the plug outlet is located it will never be used for anything other that the 12vdc power supply or AC/DC adapter that is in picture.

Something clearly went wrong with the installation and now I believe my ATS is simply dead. I will return to see what they say. Thanks

FWIW, I started the thread in part as to show my first true issue with my coach. Granted it was Dealer induced but at a very inconvenient to me for me as I have cancelled my trip. I have been reading various Thor dealer issues for almost two years, I am waiting to see how my first live experience turns out with Winnebago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50 amp surge.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	25698  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum