Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 01:17 AM   #6
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Just a note - there is a distinct difference between tripping the circuit breaker (breaker panel with all the other circuits) and tripping the Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFI or GFCI). These seem to typically be on the bathroom outlet in RV's - outlets with the test and reset buttons on them.

If you are overloading the circuit (trying to run that space heater with the coffee maker or DW's hair dryer on same circuit... wonder how I got those examples...) - you will trip the circuit breaker... Need to run less or spread the load to other circuits... The circuit breaker will also trip if there is a short between 'hot' and 'neutral' from some other cause - intended to prevent a fire.

If you are regularly tripping the GFCI - I would suspect something you are plugging in has an issue... These devices are sensing a 'leakage' to ground - perhaps caused by water (why they are now required on kitchen/bath/exterior outlets) - or a problem with the insulation of an appliance/tool/etc..
Regular tripping of the GFCI would have me looking at what is plugged in when it trips... and thank the GFCI from preventing you from getting a shock.. it's purpose in life

A single GFCI device will protect any outlets 'downstream' - typically wiring will go from breaker box to GFCI outlet and continue to other outlets requiring the protection. Often why the bathroom, kitchen, and outside outlets are on same circuit in RV - they only need one GFCI to protect them all. Cheaper than installing more than one...

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.