Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 04:04 AM   #30
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceMan View Post
Its not a 12vdc transformer, its a ac powered 12vdc power supply and battery charger. There should not be an outlet before the ats for any reason. That would mean your outlet is only breakered (fused) at the 50 amp power pole. Remember a 50 amp connection is 50 amps each leg! The ats is a solenoid, sometimes they don't energize correctly, just like in a car starter, tap it with a hammer it might switch. If however the surge protector is showing no power it is fried and not repairable. Test it plugged in directly.
I thought this had been put to rest, but you may not have read all of the posts

It was established that it is 12vdc Power Supply in post #11. I also took a picture of it in post #12 where it is actually called AC/DC Adapter by the manufacturer. The Dealer invoice called it a Converter 2A 24W. "It is what it is".

The term 12vdc transformer originates from the dealer, whether it was a typo or mistake error by the ticket service writer is irrelevant and off point. Per Onan a AC Transformer or 12vdc Power Supply is to be wired BEFORE or AFTER the ATS dependent upon which features you wish to use. It is not my job to convince you ... as I have posted the full Onan manual which explains it all in details if you care to learn why it MUST be wired in front of ATS for reasons to sense shore power.

FWIW, the picture of manual below is likely why the Dealer mixed the AC Transformer with 12vdc Power Supply. Onan is stating that it must be one of the two options... and that point may have been lost?

Also just so you know, it has a 15 AMP inline fuse 14AWG

I would have tried to tap it to see what happens, had I got your suggestion last week. The coach is still new under warranty; so I took it back to Winnebago dealer. I will report what they find is wrong with the Southwire ATS.

Be advised it has nothing to do with the Southwire surge protector. There is power through the surge protector, and to both legs on the input side of the Southwire ATS.

I am really surprised by how many peeps have never heard of an AGS being wired in front of ATS!!! Call Onan directly, or google and you will see. My install is authorized by Onan & Winnebago Dealer, and it actually extends my Onan warranty on the AGS EC-30 when installed on brand new RV by an Authorized Dealer.

Look forward to the day I get it back, may have to make a video so all can see the Genset fire up when I unplug it, or turn off when I plug it to shore power.

If you take a minute to THINK it through, it is no way it could do that AFTER the ATS because how would the shore sensor know if the 120vac was sourced from Shore or the Generator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Onan Transformer.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	25790  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.