Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnxhc@gmail.com View Post
I am designing a 6 100ahr battle born battery bank and 800w-1200w solar panel system for my 2017 windsport 34J

I understand that high voltage system is better as it requires smaller size cable and more efficient, smaller size charge controller, but I also would like the motor home alternator charge my batteries when I am driving (no a deal breaker but it is nice to have it) , Also the wires between the batteries ,bus bar & fuses are very close, so I do not see that much benefit on 24v battery bank system on my motorhome . Please let me know if I missed anything here.

I am thinking about wire the solor panel at 24v and leave the battery bank at 12v use this MPPT charge controller:
VICTRON ENERGY 30A SMARTSOLAR MPPT 100/30 CHARGE CONTROLLER W/ BLUETOOTH
Maximum PV Open Circuit Voltage: 100V
Battery Voltage: 12V/24V Auto Select

It looks like I will be able to take the 24v or even 48v from solor panel and charge the 12v battery bank and take advantage of both 24v and 12v system, could anyone confirm that ?has anyone done this before?

Also Battle born also sell the battery isolation manager, have anyone had any experience on this?
Please advise.
Thanks in advance.

Multiple direct-current voltage electrical systems are no longer that uncommon, but what you described above suggests (at least to me) that you have oversimplified design requirements. There’s a lot to consider if designing a more-complex dual-voltage system.

I would personally consider it if building a DIY van camper from scratch, but would go to 48 Volts nominal like Volta systems. In your case, I’m not sure it’s worth going away from a simpler straight 12-Volt system.

In any case, you should check the power capacity rating for the MPPT controller because 30 Amps doesn’t seem adequate for up to 1,200 Watts of solar panels; not even with a 24V secondary battery bank.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.