Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #37
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
Yeah, I'm not really sure in this scenario you'd ever want to put the thing on the roof as it is. Actually I was more thinking they could design a special unit just for RV use and not just buy a mini split off the shelf and slap it on an RV.

Surely a system could be built with a low profile horizontal condenser coil and fan, they use this setup on some commercial rooftops so obviously it can be done.

It is funny how RV manufactures are always so Reactive to people's demands and never Pro active. Our 2015 has 0 USB outlets in the entire unit, the very next year the things had USB everywhere. I'm pretty sure even in 2015 smart phones were kind of a thing. It's like the people that design these things never use them.
Yeah, I knew what you meant, and wasn’t thinking of literally placing a mini-split on RV roof.

I have seen videos of a few DO-IT-YOURSELFERS who have installed mini-splits on RVs by mounting condensing unit off the back of RV, but it’s not something I’d do.

The RV industry seems highly focused on lowering costs due to competition, and rooftop units are cheap. Unless there’s something else driving the need, we’ll continue to see the standard RV A/C on most motorhomes and trailers.

There are central air conditioners that are installed on very high-end luxury motorhomes, but they haven’t filtered down to regular RVs. That would add significant cost.

The only exception I’m aware of in US market is the 20,000 BTU/hr 12-Volt rooftop A/C that claims to have a much higher EER and can also run at partial capacity. It is very expensive compared to a regular Coleman, but it’s designed and marketed for motorhomes powering the A/C directly from batteries. It takes a need that different to make the higher cost worthwhile because you can save even more on batteries and charging systems. And if added A/C efficiency extends run time, that has great value to many buyers. All this technology is being tested on higher-cost Class Bs with high-capacity lithium battery banks that eliminate conventional generators.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum