Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 10:54 PM   #3
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwife View Post
Our OEM coach batteries are toast. I've been looking into what we can get that will fit into the space available in our 2018 Axis 25.3

Maximum space to fit 2 batteries side by side is 26 x 7 x 9.5.

Our rig does have a solar panel. We do like to boon dock, but are still relative newbies at RV life

Thor tech support said just go to Walmart and pick out your favorite type 27 battery. Easier said than done. Our local store only carries the Everstart and it will not fit our space. If I order the Mighty Max (which has a large number of poor reviews) via Walmart.com it appears to not be returnable if it doesn't fit well either.

So, recommendations please - preferably deep cycle, long life, maybe AGM.

Thanks.
Common old sizes battery group 22, 24, 27, 29, 30 and 31 are all about the same width and height. The difference is in length; group 22 are 9" long and the group 31 is about 13" long. The heavier the battery the more amp-hours. A good place to start until you know what you want is: <https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/bci-battery-group-sizes.html>

Walmart sells a complete line of combination batteries labeled as Marine/RV Deep Cycle in the EverStart brand which I think are a great value for a 4-5 year battery life. I have two of those in the group 29 size which barely fit.
They are flooded, but I have a watering system. They will probably outlast me. Yes Trojan have a longer life the Everstart, but I will be dead or have a new coach in 4 years. AGM batteries are better but cost twice as much, but they can be shipped UPS or by Amazon..
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.