Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 09:35 PM   #44
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
I think I'm missing something on the storage argument...
Where I live 4-5 months of the year my boats and RV where in storage and my batteries would never discharge during that time and I never had it on trickle charge , just turn off the battery disconnect ...
Am I missing something on Motorhomes? (Its my first MH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
What seems to catch most folks off guard on the motor homes is the disconnect switch on most is for the chassis batteries. The house batteries typically dont have one due to a few items that many like to leave powered up. That leads to battery banks being depleted and therefor the use of solar to maintain them.

Actually current coaches have the disconnect on House/Coach - and not on the chassis/engine battery...
My 2000 Infinity had both a chassis and house disconnect, and spent winter in Michigan without power, under snow/ice with no issues... Easily could sit 2-3 months in that state.

My current Hurricane doesn’t have a chassis disconnect, but the house is still a complete disconnect.
If I didn’t have power nearby, I would have installed a chassis disconnect. The chassis can still sit for weeks...

Many find their house disconnects aren’t ‘complete’ - still leaving a parasitic draw... To me it is mis-wired, as there is by definition no one in the RV when in Store, and no source of ignition, so no need for any detectors, etc to be powered...
Easily fixed by adding a manual disconnect...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum