Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: AC woes
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #10
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHill View Post
Yes sir, I have the Firefly Vegatouch Spectrum system. The system itself appears fine but any insight into previous problems you have experienced might be helpful. The only thing I have seen as an issue so far regarding the Firefly is the iPhone app. When starting it sometimes it says sensor error when trying to get the information for the current temperature. Never see that issue directly off the panel so I assume it is just the app.
So I don't have the Vegatouch model in my 2020 Magnitude but there are common components with the Firefly multiplex system so I will share my experience.

On one hand, it is strange that you are having issues with both A/C units (as was my case) and the common denominator is the Firefly system controls both.

You problems sound different than mine but it is worth giving you another data point. Back in March and April I started having issues with both A/C units. The system would be running ok but then I would start experiencing one of the following different scenarios:

- The fans would run but the compressors would not even though the panel was calling for cooling.

- The compressors would run but the fans would not.

- When one of the above issues would occur, the control panel would not turn off the A/C units or the fans.

The only way I could recover was to shut down the 12V to the coach to turn off the FireFly system and cause it to reboot. Then things would work ok for a bit and then the problems would start again. After troubleshooting with Firefly, it was determined I had a bad G7a main board. I had it replaced under warranty. Rebooting the system temporarily fixed the issue every time. Since I had the mainboard replaced, I have not had any more problems and we have used the A/C a lot.

It would be easy for you to shut down the 12V on your coach and reboot the system to see if it has any effect..... I am going to guess it won't but it is worth a try.

Since you coach was used when you bought it you don't have a full history. To me it does sound like different issues with each unit. The other common denominator in this case (as has been mentioned) is power.

The coach could have experienced a power surge causing damage to both units if they were running and a surge protector wasn't being used.

With the unit running but not cooling well, it might be worth climbing on the roof to make sure the condensor is clean and not obstructed. I know the coach is only a couple years old but depending on where it was used and how it was stored, the condensor may be very dirty and causing airflow restrictions that are killing its performance.

While you are up there, you can look to see of the condensor fan is running on the other unit is running and if it is only the compressor not starting.

I assume you have tried just running only one unit at a time... that could help determine if you have an issue with your power source and the units are not getting enough voltage to run properly. A voltage issue would be amplified when trying to run both units at the same time.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum