Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 12:30 AM   #60
Striderking

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #16395
Going solar

Using solar panels when shore power is not available is a good choice. I use a portable system so I don’t have to climb on top of the RV and adjust the panels every few hours. Plus I like to park in the shade as much as I can. Several companies sell folding dual panels and I would recommend no less than 100 watts. Solar charging during the day helps to recharge usage at night. I also went a step farther and replace my wet cells with lithium nickel batteries. Very pricey but well worth it. Less than half the weight and last 4x longer on a charge.

QUOTE=The Mr Beaumont;251415]Like many, I have the solar prep kit but am unsure if installing the solar panels is worth the hassle. I will have the batteries on a battery maintainer when it isn't being used at home. If I'm on the road, I will be plugged in, driving or using the APU. The last three scenarios will be charging the batteries anyway if I understand correctly.

If I am boondocking without the APU or engine generator, will the solar panels keep up with the electrical withdraw. Most of that would be at night when using the lights which is when solar is no good anyway.[/QUOTE]

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum