Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #67
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
The optima battery are re-portability more durable although not everyone finds that to be true. Their AMP Hour rating is considerably less than many of the larger wet-cell batteries although their are a lot of variables in methods of that rating.

Info from their website

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...e-and-starting

Model: D34M
Weight: 43.5 lb
C20 Capacity:55 Ah
Post Type: dual SAE & 5/16 Stainless Stud
CCA:750 Amp
Width:6.88 in
Length:10.06 in
Height:7.94 in

A note about AGM batteries. No magic there. They are a lead acid battery but using a different construction technology. Here is a good article about them. Lead content is the key ingredient. Note the difference in weight between the two types. That will give you an idea. They excel in several ways but not all.

https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...echnology.html

Personally if you are going to spend $500 on 2 of them you might want to investigate Lithium battery technology. Many high end RVs are going that route.
I had to Google "re-portability" and I am ashamed to say, I still don't think I am clear on what it means Whatever it is; not sure I have had to do it with my existing batteries?

The 55aH is the deal breaker for me, I know Optima are top quality batteries but capacity is one of main reasons for house batteries. I had a boat that came with 2 of the Optimas, I believe they were the Red tops and they were GREAT never an issue, but they were used mainly for starting, one was a backup. I never worried about running extended periods of time off my batteries while on the boat. My new boat has 2 Interstates but with the disconnect switches and I love it. No corrosion no mess.

These optimas are about 12 lbs lighter than my existing NAPAs Group 31 on RV, and the Group 29 Everstart is about 2 lbs lighter. Even so no way I pay $500 plus for the Optimum. If I was going to spend $400 and up, I would actually consider the 6VC batteries.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum