Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 05:01 PM   #68
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
The optima battery are re-portability more durable although not everyone finds that to be true. Their AMP Hour rating is considerably less than many of the larger wet-cell batteries although their are a lot of variables in methods of that rating.

Info from their website

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...e-and-starting

Model: D34M
Weight: 43.5 lb
C20 Capacity:55 Ah
Post Type: dual SAE & 5/16 Stainless Stud
CCA:750 Amp
Width:6.88 in
Length:10.06 in
Height:7.94 in

A note about AGM batteries. No magic there. They are a lead acid battery but using a different construction technology. Here is a good article about them. Lead content is the key ingredient. Note the difference in weight between the two types. That will give you an idea. They excel in several ways but not all.

https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...echnology.html

Personally if you are going to spend $500 on 2 of them you might want to investigate Lithium battery technology. Many high end RVs are going that route.
Optimas are made by Johnson Controls, so any Interstate dealer can get them. My Interstate dealer got 2 Optima 31M batteries (105 amp-h) at a dealer meeting and both were sold as salvage because of cracks in the corner. The dealer filled the cracks and holes with hot glue and sold the to me for $150 total and said if they failed within 3 years, he would replace them at his cost. I used them in the previous class a for 10 years and they were still working when I sold the 1968 UltraVan.
I have a red top optima (24R) in my 1965 Corvair (318,000 miles) that is 11 years old and a yellow top (51R) optima in the 1961 Rampside (188,000+) that is 14 year old. They seem to be the only battery design that can stand up to the air cooled engine's heat. Plus, they do not out-gas and corrode the magnesium fan. The round cell design makes them somewhat inefficient in filling a small battery compartment with max amp-h capacity. Hard to beat the Walmart deep cycle/marine 29DC to get the max amp-h at the least cost the small Hurricane's battery compartment
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.