Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 09:54 PM   #70
taylorbob1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Tom View Post
My Thor Miramar is pre-wired for solar but even with that it just didn't seem worth the investment. Here in Florida we run the air conditioning almost continuously during the summer so even when boondocking it's not going to cut it if it won't run AC.
When the generator isn't needed full-time it's still only cost about a gallon an hour to charge the batteries in the morning and at night. I thought a much better investment was to add two 6 volt batteries for a total of 4.
Great idea and investment adding the extra house batteries. Especially with your residential fridge.
That is, if I had room and extra available weight, I’d add an additional battery or two as well

Whenever I look at the cost of adding mods I calculate how many nights at $50-60/nite in a full-service RV Park would pay for the mod.

So to pay for my $350 solar investment, all I needed to do over the life of my RV ownership was/is spend 6-8 nights BoonDocking which I completed over a year ago.
And, oh by the way, I can now do even more quiet & peaceful BoonDocking because I have solar.

We have a trip scheduled in two weeks to Pismo Beach. It’s all BoonDocking with solar (or genny, or chassis engine) to charge house batteries.
It’s so much more pleasant not to rely solely on generator or chassis engine to charge batteries.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum