Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 12:49 AM   #8
Pete'sMH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwife View Post
You are right, we don't need a cargo carrier with 750# capacity, but it was on sale at Harbor Freight for less than $100. We couldn't resist, given that we knew we would eventually want a cargo carrier.

Very glad to hear that the carrier works for your mopeds. What kind of "bike rack" or brackets do you have on the carrier?

We'll have to take a closer look; hadn't thought of mounting the tire under the carrier. There isn't a lot of clearance. That's one minus I'd say about the Axis. It is quite low to the ground overall. I suspect that is one reason it did not come with a standard under carriage tire mount (and we haven't found a spot where we could easily/safely put one).

Am I seeing correctly in your photo that your tire IS mounted below the carrier?

At this point our plan is not to tow a car, but use the bikes instead to get around. On the rare occasion that we would envision needing a car, we had planned to just rent one for a day or two. I guess we'll find out how well that plan will work out.

I use a pair of these (one for each bikes’s front wheel) bolted to the carrier in the appropriate location. I use a ratchet strap to the handle bars just tight enough to compress the front forks slightly. I also have an upright bolted to the center so the bikes are held by their front wheel and are strapped together with the upright between them. I’ll take a photo of the empty carrier next time I visit the storage place. They are very secure. I don’t carry a spare inasmuch as I’m an old retired guy and I’m pretty much willing to wait for help as needed.[ATTACH]25983
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	25983  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.