Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 02:20 PM   #10
Pete'sMH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
50 amps is 240 volts to the RV main breaker. 30 amps is 120 volts to the Rv main breaker. ALL RV's. MH's TT's, 5th wheels, Pop up's. All Rv's

But I think JanitorsRock (cool name!) is right. The input is 240V across the two 120V hot legs but the RV systems all are 120V and use the two legs independently. Your house is wired the same way except for the few 240V circuits that span both legs like an electric dryer or range.

I have added an entire secondary electrical service to my coach. It’s 20A with its own inlet, breaker and wiring. It serves my second AC and a single dedicated outlet in my living room which I use for a space heater (and used to use for a portable AC). Currently I just plug it into the pedestals 20A outlet with a 12ga extension cord. But lately I’ve been wondering if I could replace my coaches 30A power cord with a 50A cord and split the two legs before it goes into the ATS with one leg going there and the other to my 20A breaker box mounted right next to it. It’d be a more convenient set up but I’m not sure of the neutral and ground wiring or if it’s safe and “legal”. And I’ve not been motivated enough yet to discuss it with an electrician. Anybody here have any advice?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum