Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 11:38 PM   #1
Cwray

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Cost for installing base plate for flat tow?

Hello Esteemed colleagues!

We are two weeks away from acquiring a new ‘21 Jeep Sahara and want to flat tow it. In talking to General RV about ballpark costs to have them do it (parts and labor, all in) they said it would cost around $4,000.

Is that right/average cost? Their opinion was that it would take 8-9 hours to install the stuff on the toad. They would need to disassemble the front of the toad to get things done right.

This type of job seems above me, and with a brand new (and expensive) car, I don’t want to just wing it. As an alternative to having that RV shop do it, I am thinking that the Jeep dealer might be better (but as a dealer, likely just as bad). Would a reputable corner local mechanic be a place to consider?

Where do people get this done? Is it something that a non wrench-monkey should consider doing themselves? Is $4K market rate for getting it done by a shop?

We keep our cars for 10+ years, and see our RV’ing only increasing as the years go by. I’m looking for a permanent install and easy system to use. I could also use some opinions on which of the many solutions I should be seriously considering.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.