Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2020, 01:02 AM   #8
Mr Sunshine

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We towed our 2002 MIata for around 50,000 miles and our current 2011 Miata for over 10,000 so far. Miatas are light and lots of fun to drive, if you don't need more than 2 seats. An old ad said "More smiles per mile!"

I did a lot of internet research before setting our 2002 up to tow. Six speed trannys only, absolutely not an automatic and the 5 speed is questionable. Mazda says you can't tow them period but our experience and that of others defies that. There is likely not enough room for a transmission disconnect. It's pretty tight under there.

I don't believe there is a baseplate available for a Miata newer than 2011. Our 2002 had a Blue Ox baseplate and the 2011 has a Roadmaster. I had a shop do the install on both.

When we towed behind our 33' Class A, it needed a 4" drop in the hitch. Our Vegas is lower and the drop is not necessary.

An alternative fun car would be a Mini Cooper. The Miata and the Cooper are both short, so a trailer is an option, but that adds to the total weight. Our Miata is 157" and the Mini is even less.

Excellent resource is Motorhome Magazine's free online downloadable Dinghy Towing Guides. Listed by model year and it tells you specifically which models are towable.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum