Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
medic

Brand: Crossroads
State: Minnesota
THOR #592
Do I really need to turn off the overdrive

Hello all,
Curious question about turning off overdrive when pulling my TT.

Recently purchased a 2005 Chevy 2500 HD with the Duramax 6.6 diesel. I think the rear end has the 3.72 or 3.73 (sorry not sure but it is 3 point something). The camper I am pulling is a 2013 Crossroads Sunset Trail. It is 34 feet long and I think it weighs 6800 pounds dry. Fully stocked with groceries, kitchen and cooking items, clothing and other stuff (no water) I'm guessing the weight would be around 8000-8500 pounds. Some people I have spoken to don't turn off the overdrive but they do keep a eye on how often the transmission shifts depending on flat or hilly terrain. Others have said they keep a eye on the transmission temp gauge. I am new to owning a diesel so I am curious has to what my truck can do and what it can not do. It has the Allison transmission that people have said is virtually indestructible. I have not yet pulled the camper with this Chevy 2500HD. So I am just asking for advise on this one

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.