Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #11
Bill Johnson

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingkennedy View Post
I am considering purchasing a small RV and I need help choosing the right one. I have not been able to find the answer to these questions on most websites so I'm coming here for help.

First: I'm single and 6'4. I don't need a lot of space but I like headroom. I want a fairly easily maneuverable RV - the biggest that I have seen and would feel comfortable with is the Thor Axis. My first consideration was a truck camper as I was surprised at how tall they are once you get inside, and they seem to have plenty of room for just me. However, I plan on a significant amount of boondocking, and it seems that these all have propane generators and that doesn't seem very efficient for boondocking. I am looking for something that is gas or diesel and runs off of a large tank, ideally. This is where i have trouble finding out RV capabilities. For instance, the axis that I looked at as well as all these 22 foot freedom elites (or other relatively small class C) all will tout something like "4000 watt onan gas generator," but say nothing about what that is connected to. Is it connected to a 10 gallon tank? is it connected to the vehicles main tank? What is the capacity on these? I can't seem to find this information.

Please let me know if you have suggestions on a good RV for me. I additionally want some capability to run around 400 watts of solar, as that seems a pretty popular amount for charging batteries and running phones/computers.

Thank you all for your input.
I had the Ford 450 chassis for a year and hated it. The motorhome wandered all over road. The steering was like a 1970 Ford econoline van. It felt like the wheels were connected to the steering wheel with slack ropes. When a semi or large truck would come from behind it would push the back end over and when it passed the front it would push that over. All day corrective steering. I now have the The F-53 motorhome chassis and it is much better there no effect from trucks passing you. Many people spend tons of money getting the 450 chassis to handle right. The bed size like they say makes a difference we have a king bed and even though it is not a real king my 6 foot 2 inch body fits with room to spare. Bedrooms without slide out are very tight with no room to make a bed or get into it. Our old 450 chassis a person had to climb into the bed from the middle because of raised platforms where the storage area is below. I would rather get into bed easily and lose a few feet of storage. I would recommend a porcelain toilet for a big guy like us and the seat area is much larger and a better flush. If yours has slide out make sure they are good ones. My last motorhome the bottom pulled away first then the top. The Thor has tracks top and bottom and mine are very smooth. Make sure the shower is large enough for you and tall enough. Mine is large with a curved door for room to move around. I have pressure sensors on the tires and I notice the Tires on the Ford 450 got much hotter and the pressure in the tires went up much faster than the F53 chassis with the larger tires. I would get slide outs in the rear or drivers side so it doesn't interfere with your awning in the front. There is a big difference in the size of the slideouts my 450 slide outs felt like they only went out a foot or a little more. Some others are around three feet that will give you much more room inside. A 50 amp RV can run much more than a 30 amp because a 30 amp only has one hot leg where a 50 amp has two 50 amp hot legs but it doesn't use 220 except in very large coaches with dryers. Just remember the class Bs are very small and them might be good right now next year you might say why didn't I get something that has room, like in the 60s we always wished we had the bigger engine, I always loved passing a car on a two lane road back then looking down at the speedometer doing 130, I wish the motorhome would do that

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum