Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 09:52 PM   #4
DavidEM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
You will pay at least $30K more for a Mercedes Sprinter based Class C vs a Thor Axis/Vegas.

Also let's look at mileage and fuel costs:

Assume the gasser gets 10 mpg and the Mercedes Sprinter diesel based coach gets 15 mpg. For 10,000 miles per year of travelling, that means 1,000 gallons for the gasser and 667 gallons for the diesel. Gas costs $2.20/gal in my area and diesel is $2.65. So the gasser costs $2,200 per year for fuel and the diesel costs $1,768 or $432 less for the diesel.

It will take a long, long time to make up $30,000 at that rate. YMMV of course.

Also the old or new gassers (and it is my understanding that all new coaches are delivered with the new V8) have plenty of power and torque to pull that coach. The new V8 produces much more hp and torque than the Mercedes Sprinter engine and may even equal the Sprinter's torque at low rpms.

I have watched tear down videos of the new Ford gasser and I am convinced that it will live at least as long as the Mercedes diesel. Hey it has 7.3 liters of iron vs 3 liters for the Mercedes.

Even fuel capacity and range is better on the gasser model. The Vegas has a 55 gallon tank and the Mercedes Sprinter has a 27gallon tank. With even a 50% difference in mileage, 55 gallons will take you further. The only downside is that it will take a few minutes longer to pump that much gas, although you never have to add DEF.

David

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.