Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 08:46 PM   #1
Pete'sMH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Added second AC, with photos

After a recent very hot trip DW agreed it was time to add a second roof top AC. In the past we’ve used a portable unit to good effect but it’s cumbersome and we didn’t bring it on this trip. My 30ft Class A (SOB) doesn’t have a roof vent in the bedroom which meant I had to cut and frame a new opening. I spent a ridiculously long time figuring out the hidden roof structure, measuring (and remeasuring!) and simply summoning up the courage to start sawing into my ceiling. I had previously added a 20A secondary electrical service to run my portable AC and a space heater so I was able to tap into that for power. Still, pulling wire through the coach and ceiling to the opening for the new AC was the hardest part of the whole job. I had to relocate a return air duct vent for the existing heat pump and the roof mounted WiFi extender. Also had to reroute some wires and I added a new ceiling light to cover the holes left by the smoke detector. I used a locally sourced, year old, new coach take off Dometic Penguin 2 low profile to which I added the optional heat strip. All in cost was just over $800. It was a fun though complicated project that turned out great!
[ATTACH]26281[ATTACH]26282[ATTACH]26283[ATTACH]26284[ATTACH]26285[ATTACH]26286
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2534.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	26281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2535.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	26282  

Name:	IMG_2547.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	26283   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2553.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	26284  

Name:	IMG_2405.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	26285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2551.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	26286  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum