Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #29
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevad View Post
Folks, I'm in the same boat, trying to do some debuggin and searching for what Thor wired and how?

Thor Four Winds 30D, Ford e450 chassis. Im pretty sure it did charge off the alternator as I boondocked my way from NJ to FL last spring... but not sure when it STOPPED charging off the alternator?

Long part of the story - I assume it might have been last November during 2 night boondock at harvest host in the North East. Rookie mistake, ran the house batteries down, as the furnace ran overnight, it completely killed the batteries (Trusted the dumb panel gage thinking 3/4 battery at night was enough). Woke up in the morning to a very cold rig (and did I mention at a Harvest Host... so a little hungover).... I dont recall if I had to jump start the Chassis as well, but finally got the generator to start up. But dash radio froze (blank screen), and it looked like the RV House wasnt charging. Got it home, put on shore power and everything came back to normal - found out how to "Reset" the radio (stick a tiny pin in the reset) and everything seemed to work. Not liking the dumb led panel, I opted to install a Victron Battery Monitor (712)... works good. But now I noticed its NOT charging while Im driving.

In summary:
- It USED to charge on Alternator (so its not that its not configured to do it)

- It DOES Charge on both shore line and generator
- It DOES NOT charge when rig is running (regardless of engine revs or how long I drive - someone said maybe the smart battery isolator waits until chaxsis is full before it charges House - Nope)
- It DOES charge when I use the emergency bypass

- Maybe unrelated - but When I start my Chassis, I MUST also turn on the House battery in order for the Radio/Rear view camera to work? I dont remember if I had to do that before, but I do now. (would the house battery turn on automatically when the chassis runs)?

So, help me dear friends...

What does Thor Put on this model 2018 Four Winds 30D? BIRD as in the image above? BIM as shown?

What could it be?
Bad Fuse? - Where is it? Would it still charge with Emergency Bypass?

Bad Isolator? (BIM or BIRD?)
Bad Relay? - I dont think so since it does work for the emergency bypass.

THANK YOU in advance.... I dont know what I would do with out the smart folks on this site.

Dave
House batteries never turn on automatically.
Turning on the house batteries for the radio up front is required - it's the way it is wired.

Sounds like you have a bad BIRD/BIM.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum