Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 01:23 AM   #14
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Your propane gauge is run by a float on an arm just like a gas tank gauge. They are easy to bend when installing. Consequently, a gas tank that holds 11 gallons may take anywhere from 3 to 8 gallons when it "reads" half full. It's not an exact measurement and knowing what you actually have in the tank vs what the gauge says comes from experience.

But you get a whole lot less experience filling a MH propane tank so it takes a lot longer to "dial it in".

The LEDs run from a magnetic sensor on the physical gauge which induces additional error. This explains what I was referencing above

Just like your tank level indicators, take it as a ballpark reading and find something else to spend your time pondering.
I think you are right... that basically neither of the gauges are accurate.

I am actually having a lot of fun diving into these topics one by one. Last night another poster had issue with Propane Fridge switch not going back to electric when power was restored. This morning I put mine to a thorough test. It is what made me look closer at the propane level because at point when I turn the electric off the fridge went to Red meaning error and propane did not kick on? Inside RV was saying 1/3 and I though it may have been empty? It was NOT empty because I turned on heater which worked fine. Then when I tried to the Fridge again on propane it came on so all was good.

Since I was in the RV; I thought I would fill it. I was thinking I was going to buy 12 -14 gallons , so I was shocked when it stopped at 4.3 gallons.

I will have it on the list for Dealer to look at on my next trip, but I think I will follow you advice to get more experience. The easiest way will be let it run completely empty. I can see how long that takes. Then I will get a true capacity in gallons on next fillup. I am thinking I can carry 14 gallons total.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum