Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #38
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
2017 Vegas 24.1

Applied with a rotary buffer With wool pads after watching about 20 hrs of YouTube gelcoat boat videos.

Lots of work. Did the same to the decals first and separately. Used a small 3” wool pad. Need to keep moving over the surface with enough lubrication and not too much pressure. I was nervous to burn through at first but just keep an eye on them. On and off quickly and buff to see how it’s progressing, then a bit more if needed.

I found that I had to mask them off after doing them because of the amount of time I had to spend buffing the oxidation out. When I would get near the decals, they would smear black residue onto the main surface and cause more haze and work to remove. First time doing this. A bit of trial and error. Not for the faint of heart but then, I was never afraid of tackling something new.

I will definitely keep it up now. Lots of effort to bring it back once the sun bakes into the gelcoat. Pics below show masking and a side by side before and after.
Wow that is impressive.

Mine is 2019. I have been washing and waxing out of gate. So I don't think I need compound now.

I asked about the buffer because I bought a nice one from Harbor Freight last year, but I have yet to use on the RV. Thus far; I have done it all by hand. Did you use the buffer in any parts of the process when applying the polish and later the wax?

What about your roof? I hope I not about to put you to work I hand wax mine about 3 weeks ago preparing the leaves to start falling on it this Fall.

Next Jan/Feb; I wish to re-wax the roof and maybe this time use the buffer to after I have completed the hand application of the wax.

It has been a few month since I have waxed the sides, but maybe next spring after roof is complete I will do the sides. I did not use a polish because my gel coat is was in really good condition, but I think I will polish next time before applying the wax.

Short the RV Wash & Wax solution, I try to avoid getting wax on decals. While I don't mask the decals I do apply 303 protectant at the end and wipe down pretty good. The decals stay looking vibrant, prolly better than new?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum