Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 04:32 PM   #450
MLP

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Why do RV manufacturers use screws in exterior and wet places that rust! I had a Keystone 5th wheel that over 16 years I replaced about every screw with stainless steel. I was using the black tank sprayer/cleaner thing yesterday after a trip in this class A. Some water sprayed/spilled into the compartment. The outdoor shower is located there. Darned if everything in the “wet” compartment is attached with painted screws that will rust. SS screws aren’t expensive. It’s a good thing I’ve got plenty in assorted sizes as I’ll still be replacing screws.

SS screws are more expensive than the self drilling self taping screws that the manufactures use. Add all that they can do differently to make a better rig, and you will purchase the competitors rig at a lower cost. Just add up the cost of the screws over a ten years of manufacturing. It would surprise you. They use hundreds of thousands of them and this being just one item. Lowering the cost and keeping it as low or lower than your competitor is the goal of most all manufactures. It is a pain in the backside, but they are making money and growing in sales. So what do we all do? We still purchase the product and fix as we go.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum