Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: New Ford 6.8L
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #23
RACarvalho

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Ok, it’s not the return of the V10 — that’s plenty dead. However, after union negotiations with Ford, Jerry Dias disclosed in Q&A session with press that Ford will be building a new 6.8L engine at the Windsor plant.

Dias also stated the new engine would go into derivatives of Mustang and F-150 pickups. That essentially narrows it down to a gasoline V8.
I towed a 9000lb camper for 16000 miles with a F150 V8.
I loved the engine but it is clear that that engine was not designed for that application.
Because I am from the time we could ride motorcycles with 2 stroke engines, I'm ok with engines reving at 4500rpm frequently but the engine really doesn't like to work at lower revs.
Also, besides Ford efforts to move the customer to the ecoboost engine, more than 1/2 of customers don't want (me included) that engine.
So whatever was the reason to put the 5.0 in the F150 (stop gap? eco terrorists in marketing?, etc) that was not a wise decision.
I also foresee that Ford will offer this new 6.8 with a 6 or 8 transmission.
That 10 speed was the most annoying piece of machinery that I ever had in my life....
On the other hand , the new 7.3L with the 6 speed transmission have being really nice so far...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum