Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: New Ford 6.8L
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #30
RACarvalho

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Ford will supposedly make cylinder deactivation available on new 5.0L F-150, and I expect the same may happen with 6.8L V8 to get decent fuel economy when lightly loaded. Personally, I prefer a simple drivetrain even if it has less power in order to preserve fuel economy.
If you, like me, buy a truck to do any sensible work (in my case tow 9000lbs) you don't care for theoretical fuel savings that never realize in real life and you start to hate all that crap they use to pass the government test when you realize you are paying at least $15K more for the vehicle because of it AND the additional complexity (which even the OEM have trouble figuring out how to make it work) with tons of sensors (that will fail eventually) etc. only increase operational cost and quickly wipe out any savings in fuel....
In summary, the politicians got power, Ford increased profit and we where (again) screwed...

My 2018 F150 with 10 speed transmission towing 9000lbs used to do 9mpg, before that I was towing a 6000lbs camper with a BMW X5 designed in the 90s that have a 3L engine and 5 spd transmission and that would get me 10mpg towing ....
I sold the F150 because Ford could not make the transmission shift (which is does all the time) right....I still have the BMW...
There is a reason Ford went with an "old school" 7.3L V8 where the government interfere less...: That is the recipe for a good working powerplant if you don't need to submit yourself to the lunacy of politics...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum