Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: New Ford 6.8L
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #34
RACarvalho

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’m curious, if you had a choice for a new F-150 (hypothetical question), would you prefer a smaller version of the cam-in-block OHV 7.3L, or would you pay a premium for a larger version of the 5.0L Coyote like you had?

Based on specific power and torque output of the two engines, I’d guess that a 6.8L DOHC V8 should make about 100 HP and 100 lb-ft more.
I'm not bashing the Coyote (I'm bashing the 10spd transmission, though) it is a really nice engine but it was developed for the Mustang, it wants to rev. When going up hill towing I used to joke with my kids that it sounds like a mustang.. haha
That is the reason that lead me to think that Ford put that engine there as a stop gap hoping to convince the customer that the Ecoboost is the way to go and later just killing V8s on the F150... It backfired in my view...

As for to have a choice, I special ordered that F150 for towing, had to wait 2 months to get it for I wanted max payload with the V8 engine(it had 2700lbs payload capacity!) and I was thinking to keep it for a long time but the transmissions problems made me change my mind.....

I would like to see the F150 with the 7.3L in a 6 or 8 spd max transmission which I understand will get a better real life fuel mileage with that wonderful feeling of low end torque.

I had the opportunity to compare the 2018 coyote with the 10 spd transmission towing 9000lbs against a 2014 F250 with 6spd transmission and the 6.2L V8 towing 12000lbs during a camping vacation with friends where we drove 50 miles together... The F250 did 9mpg and my F150 did 8.5mpg... That 6.2L is also an old design ... Imagine if it was the 7.3L...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.