Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: New Ford 6.8L
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #37
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post

.....cut....

I had the opportunity to compare the 2018 coyote with the 10 spd transmission towing 9000lbs against a 2014 F250 with 6spd transmission and the 6.2L V8 towing 12000lbs during a camping vacation with friends where we drove 50 miles together... The F250 did 9mpg and my F150 did 8.5mpg... That 6.2L is also an old design ... Imagine if it was the 7.3L...

Regarding engine design age, the 5.0L Coyote V8 origins date back to 1990 production as a 4.6L Modular V8, so roots are 30 years old. The 6.2L Boss V8 dates back to 2010 production, so it’s much newer by comparison. However, I’m not sure how meaningful any of this is because they’ve gone through so many revisions and upgrades through the years, particularly the Modular engine.

One detail of interest is that the 6.2L and newer 7.3L reportedly share the same 115 MM bore centers, so Ford could use some of the same manufacturing tooling as a means to lower costs. That being the case, I can see Ford possibly increasing the 6.2L up to 6.8L and not just reducing the 7.3L down to 6.8L as many have assumed.

Two things we know is that the 5.0L Coyote can’t be made much larger because of its small 100 MM bore spacing, and also that the 6.2L V8 which only goes into Super Duty pickups has been replaced in part by the optional 7.3L V8. Manufacturing volume must be so low that it’s difficult to imagine the Boss engine family remaining in production unless Ford can also use it in other vehicles like Mustang and F-150, or by upgrading capabilities to make it more desirable than the larger 7.3L.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum