Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #21
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I just placed an order for 6 of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/General-G...Tire/268305454

based on this from Chance's input: https://www.google.com/search?q=tire...T42F63Pyho8-GM

Look, Judge is a decent guy and offers a lot good info to all of us but if you're going to mount that monitor on your wheel cover, how will you check balance? I don't know how you can accurately do that and that could lead to cupping and premature tire wear and ending your shocks a little early. I'd look to see if there's something else. Not sure what that is. Not in the market for it - yet. Cross check yourself.

Well....I appreciate that you called me a decent guy! LOL

Advice and opinions on here are like noses, we all have them so we all have to do our own research before taking someone's advice. Hopefully the more advice and options we all ask for and give will help guide us to the right conclusions.

All I can provide is the following and then everyone can do their own research and make their own informed decisions:

1) I have my Crossfire Indicators mounted off a lug nut and have no signs of a balance issue. My installation would cause more of a balance issue than having it mounted closer to the center of the wheel.

2) While balance can have an impact on tire wear, it is usually very minimal with most abnormal tire wear being caused by improper tire pressures and alignment.

3) Take a close at most big rigs carrying heavy loads and you will they use a Crossfire or similar system because of the importance of dual tires having equal pressure carrying those loads to promote proper tire wear and minimize the chance of a premature blowout.

4) It is almost impossible to keep all four dually tire pressures equal so that the tread can perform its load carrying ability properly. Inside tires are against brake drums / rotors that radiate a lot of heat. Heat increases tire pressure. One tire will also sometimes be close to the exhaust pipe adding more heat. Inside tires cool less than outside tires at highway speeds as well. When dually tire pressures are unequal, it will cause abnormal tire wear and can lead to potential tire failure.... back to the OP's original post.

5) It is my opinion from the research I have done that it is far more important to ensure that all four rear tires are equally pressurized than to worry about a slight balance issue. Having all four tires equally pressurized will ensure each tire's surface is properly contacting the road surface and carrying its share of the load equally. Bottom line.... the rear tires will wear and perform optimally and guard against a premature failure.

6) A picture is worth a 1000 words....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 7.13.25 AM.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	26467  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.