Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 11:09 PM   #18
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Well I got mine installed today. No pics yet - too tired, I'll get some in the morning. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Thor had run the 12 volt wires to the fan vent through the 1"x1" roof support channel into the storage area behind the bedroom TV, where the outlet is for the TV as well. I was able to cut a Harbor Freight 12 gauge 25' extension cord and after using the 12 volt wires to pull a lead from the vent, I used the lead to pull back the cut end of the extension cord into the vent area, leaving the male end of the extension cord in the storage area behind the TV.

I installed a second outlet in the same area and ran the other end of the extension cord from it, down the interior wall where the other wires were run to the "basement" where the backs of the water heater and furnace are accessible as well as a lot of the plumbing lines and other wiring as well as the location where the current 30 amp and city water connections enter the RV. This allowed me to install a second 30 amp connection on the other end of the 12 gauge extension cord which goes straight to the new outlet.

So I can plug the new A/C into either the current house electrical system or into the dedicated second connection outside the RV.

It was about 80 degrees outside when I tested it today: it draws 10 amps on low and 10.5 amps on high; not a lot of power savings, probably because the compressor has a higher head pressure on low due to less air flow through the condenser.

It looks like I will be able to run both A/Cs on the existing 30 amp system if I don't run much of anything else, the supply breaker and connections are good, and I keep and eye on my connections and usage. I guess I'll find out next summer.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum