Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
DavidEM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have never used the start switch, but if I did, this is what I would do:

If the chassis battery isn't totally dead, hold down the start switch while you turn the key to crank. This way the coach battery is combined with the start battery. If you just hold down the start switch for 20 seconds, you are putting a little bit of charge into the chassis battery but when you let go of the start switch then the chassis battery has to do the starting by itself.

If the chassis battery is dead or close to dead, then I would first start the generator. How do you do that when the chassis battery is usually the source of starting current for the generator? You hold the start switch down for maybe a minute and then start the generator while keeping the switch engaged. The generator requires much less current to start than the chassis engine and will probably start.

Then once the generator settles down and is charging the coach battery, hold the start switch down for maybe 5 minutes. This puts some charge into the start battery and the generator keeps the coach battery voltage up while it is charging. Then try to start the chassis engine while holding the switch down.

The above procedure with some modifications for MH use is what I do when I use jumper cables from one running car engine to start another with a dead battery. Hasn't failed me yet. I once had to wait 15 minutes to build up a charge in the dead battery, but it finally started.

I may be missing something specific about Mhs that may not let this procedure work. Please correct me if so.

David

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum