Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: New Ford 6.8L
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #59
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Two questions I’m curious about related to your Chevy Bolt:

Does it display energy use per mile like Teslas? If so, have you observed at different steady-state speeds? I’m primarily interested in knowing vehicle range when driven at higher speeds like 70 MPH.

We’ve discussed this before, but I’ll ask again to see if anything has changed. Has anyone figured out how to use the car’s battery energy storage to power an independent inverter so they can power motorhome or house 120-Volt loads? When used as a toad, if boondocking occasionally for a night or two between campgrounds, it’d be great to power motorhome’s A/C at night, etc.

It seems like such a waste to have all that battery capacity sitting idle instead of putting it to work like the F-150’s Pro Power Onboard. And your car has so much more battery capacity.
Yes the trip meter shows average miles per kWh. Around town it will easily go up to 4.5 or so in the summer, in the winter not so much due to heater usage. On the highway it will run around 3.5 - 3.7 depending on how fast you go (note that the newer model year Bolts have a slightly bigger battery than mine and thus have an EPA range of around 250+ to my 238). If I go 70 mph I can get more than 190 miles out of it (at least I've made a few round trips on the highway of about 190 miles and have come home with some miles to spare so I know I can at least go that far).

I think the problem with having an inverter on the traction battery (as they call it) is that you get about 350 volts out of it so you'd need something custom (actually only have to turn that into A/C and then use a step-down transformer really). Well the opposite of the charger circutry already in the car (there is considerable talk about using an EV to backup the grid: leave the car plugged in and when the grid needs juice the car provides it, and when the grid is overproducing the car gets charged).

I haven't seen any consumer level products that would allow you to plug in a 120v plug into an EV.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum