Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Owner check in
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #53
hardinkr

Brand: DRV
Model: Dallas
State: Texas
THOR #3440
We have been off several long steep mountains in the last 20 years of RV'g with many different trailers behind many different trucks. The best we have had so far is the 2015 Dallas and 2011 F-450 we presently have. I know the MDT's are a much better choice but I still like the convenience of the smaller truck with 4 wheel drive when sightseeing and also for navigating in tight areas in town. The third axle on the Dallas is an improvement over the previous 2009 38' ES we had. Also the disc brakes on the Suites is the greatest thing since sliced bread. One thing you can do to help with your safety descending grades with a setup like we have is to know the mountain you are about tackle. We use the Mountain Directory sold a Camping World to know the layout of the mountain including % grade, length of grade, curves, runaway truck ramps and such. I also use the rule as stated by Cummins12V98 above of using the same gear for descending as ascending. We have never smoked the brakes since we have had trailers with Disc brakes but with regular electric brakes, we have. We have not been in a situation yet where we couldn't stop if we had to with our present rig.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum