Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #44
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
But this picture is not realistic, so to my opinion worthless.
First the inner tire is placed higher.
A real picture would be realistic, and then you would see that the inner tire pushed some air to the outer tire, but pressure in tire the same.
So to my conclusion effect is practically zero.

If TS gives real weighed loads on axle ends in the loading as going on trip, and tire-specifications, I can calculate a save pressure at wich most likely the treath separation wont happen again. Then it would probably explain the failing tires.

Where they always on the same side? I expect it , because weight division stays mostly the same for a RV trough the years.
I believe the picture is exaggerated to make a point.

First, the road surface is basically an upside down V. The center is the highest point with a gradual slope down to the berm on each side of the road to allow rain water to drain off the highway to minimize hydroplaning.

As you change lanes you have a set of tires on each side and the inner tire will be higher than the outer tire as a result of the road slope. Your axle is not going to bend to try and keep each tire "level" so to speak.

Beyond that..... it is simple physics that temperature impacts pressure. In most instances, the inner tire runs hotter than the outer tire and it can be by several PSI. The more traffic and resulted breaking that is occurring, the more heat radiating from the brake rotor / drum and the higher the pressure becomes on the inner tire compared to the outer tire.

Once the inner tire becomes over-inflated, the center of the tire starts carrying the bulk of the load and the tire center begins to wear more than the rest of the tire. The outer tire being at a lower pressure has a different amount of tread contacting the road. Now there is an imbalance in the performance and wear between the inner and outer tires.

Here is another factor regarding as to how much temperature can impact the pressure of tires and the pressure differential of the rear tires.

Unless you only inflate your tires with nitrogen, which minimizes the amount of water vapor inside the tire, there could be significant changes in tire pressures as temperature changes based on the part of the country you live in.

If you live in Florida or another part of the country with high humidity and you are not using a dryer / desiccant inline your compressor air hose, you are putting a lot of water vapor inside the tire when you inflate it or add air to it. As temperature increases, the water vapor will expand at a higher rate than just nitrogen and oxygen causing greater increases in pressure.

If you live in Phoenix where there is less humidity, there is less water vapor in the air so the increase in pressure resulting from increased temperature can be less pronounced.

What I can attest to is that after using the Crossfire system, my inner and outer tires are at equal pressures and temperatures regardless of the driving conditions. As a result I am ensuring that my tires have the best change for equal wear and performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 6.25.49 AM.png
Views:	42
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	26572  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.