Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 06:34 PM   #1
steve2777

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Siesta 24ST
State: Ohio
THOR #15089
Air Conditioiner Runs on Shore Power but Short Circuits Generator

I have a 2018 Siesta 24ST, which was at Wakarusa June 15 for a warranty replacement of the roof air conditioning unit. Since then the a/c has worked normally on shore power; however, today when testing/exercising my generator, I ran the generator, then started the a/c as a test load. As soon as the a/c tried to kick on, the generator stalled and stopped, and the generator data screen displayed message "short circuit!". No breakers win the main breaker box tripped, and no breakers had to be reset to restart the generator. Repeated attempts resulted in the same result each time, but on shore power again, the a/c started and ran normally. The generator will run any other appliance on this or any other circuit; only the a/c causes the stall/stop.

I believe this was the first time since Wakarusa that we attempted to run the a/c on generator, so I'm not sure this is related to the installation or something else. I'm baffled, because it seems that, with the automatic transfer switch, exactly the same AC current would be reaching the breaker box, regardless of whether from shore power or generator. I'm looking for any ideas on what to check next. Thanks.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.