Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #79
lwmcguire

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Judge is Absolutely right on
LT tires do not belong on a motor home

A 10-20% safety factor on tire loading isn't going to happen with 10 ply LT tires on very many loaded RV's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
That is all good information from the experts......

There is one piece of information I still think is important to consider for these Class C's (and even some small Class A's) and that is that standard LT-type tires sold as part of a cutaway chassis are designed for light truck applications i.e. pick-up trucks, SUV's, vans, etc. Ford, Chevy, etc. have no idea what application the buyer will use the chassis for so it is setup with basic tires and a suspension that can handle the max GVWR during production.

The RV manufacturers should either order the chassis with upgraded C-type tires instead of the LT tires or they should install them during coach manufacturing. That's just my opinion if you want to look at it as a pure safety play.

While an LT tire does have a higher weight rating than a typical passenger vehicle tire and they can be rated for dual tire application, on many Class C's the tire is running near it's max weight rating all the time if you have a coach that weighs over 13,000lbs before you load it with gear. Once a coach is loaded with gear, you are up against the limits of an LT tire.

Assuming the OP has been diligent about monitoring air pressure, etc. three blowouts certainly lends itself to a weight issue.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.