Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 06:38 PM   #36
Jevad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 30D
State: New Jersey
THOR #13701
Resolved - Replaced Isolation Relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevad View Post
OK... some debugging done - figured I would pay it forward.

1. My 2018 Thor Four Winds 30D, Owners Resource for my vin says it was SUPPOSED to have the Precisions BIM-160... however pulling the antifreeze reservoir to find the BIM, it turns out I have the simpler?/cheaper?/crappier? Isolator Relay & Delay modules.

2. Having let the house batteries run down to about 60% charge I checked some voltages on the isolator with the engine running and/or pressing the emergency start. While I could hear the relay click with the emergency start voltages were never equal - meaning the relay wasnt closing the contact to bridge the Chassis to the House batteries.

3. Fishing around I found I had TWO 7.5A fuses in line with the low current side of the Isolation Relay solenoid - ONE for the Emergency Bypass button, and ONE that fed the Isolation Relay Delay (IRD) component.

- Looks like the IRD supposedly is switched off the Engine some how (I couldnt follow , feeds Delay component, to make sure the engine is running before it triggers the relay to bridge the HOUSE and CHASSIS batteries (thus allowing the House battery to be charged off the alternator).

4. My 7.5A fuse that fed the Isolation Relay Delay component was blown. I replaced that and now could hear the Isolation Relay close a few seconds after the engine started running (Didnt hear that before).... However the Isolation Relay would never bridge to batteries.

5. I contacted Trombetta, shared my experience and they agreed the Trombetta Isolation Relay (Contactor part 684-1251-012) had to be replaced. Trombetta recommended newer better part number - 684-1251-032-02 instead... so use that if you experience the same)

I have ordered the replacement part, and will install later this weekend. I've attached a few pictures and also a drawing for what I found showing the fuses and parts.... hope it helps.

Dave.

Just to follow up to all. I swapped out the Trombetta Isolation Relay with the same version (not the newer - I had ordered it before I was recommended to use the newer) and it is charging now both automatically from the engine and when I hit the bypass. Note, ironically the OTHER Fuse (for emergency bypass) had also blown, so both fuses were blown which is odd for a relay (drawing too much current on low side?).

If this relay should fail again, I would probably consider replacing both Isolation Relay & Delay with a BIM... sounds like a "Smarter" solution.

Thanks to all for your input.

Dave.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum