Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: 2015 Vegas 24.1
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 10:35 PM   #14
taylorbob1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yeah, that was the "Two trail hikers / Finding our Happy" guy with a Vegas right? I saw his Youtube.

I intalled this surge guard on my Axis about 1.5 years ago. Just grab the OUTPUT from the Auto transfer that way it covers both the Generator and Shore Power. Its under my bed on my floor plan (along with my fuse box and X fer switch).

BUT Its a Love / Hate relationship..... but im getting use to it.

The Love part is I feel more secure about the RV when Plugged in or on the Genny. Plus It will prolong the Roof Air Con life.... if your power is interrupted for like 1 or 2 sec. it will cut all power off and make it wait for like 4 or 5 min before letting your Air Con kicking back on. This is very important IMO.

I always use my old "plug in" surge to "check" the status of my power supply before I hook up my cord (So I use both at the same time).

The HATE part is the LONG WAIT.... When its 95 + degrees outside I want AC instantly .... well now I have to wait 4 or 5 min before it kicks on.... But Im im getting use to it. I turn on the Generator right away before the wife gets in the RV so cold air is blowing.

Also this thing Hums when connected. Its not bad..... but noticeable with AC off and TV off and no other noises... you really have to pay attention to hear it but its there..... Luckly it DOES NOT disturb my sleeping (im a light sleeper so this is important - clocks ticking or water dripping keep me awake for hours).

I also insulated this area and mounted on rubber pad to absorb this noise.

This picture below is BEFORE I remounted on a 1/3 inch thick soft rubber pad plus the lid of this comparment has 3/4 inch thick sound deading insulation - both helped some.

That's the issue with Surge Guard vs Progressive Industries
- PI takes no more than a minute, maybe 90 sec
- PI's hummm is non-existent/very minimal. It's under the bed and I do not hear it

Regardless, this is the best way to wire it.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum