Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 08:58 PM   #23
lwmcguire

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Certainly agree with everything you have stated

There a few Thor owners that have Aquahot heating and for those it is never a good idea to use air only

Given there are different series of hydronic heaters in various coaches which have different sizes of heating coils

The typical unit has around 160 feet of 1/2 inch tubing

Every spring there a few that tried air and then spend from 4000 to 8000 dollars due to the split copper tubing

Once through heaters or bypassed tanks air does work but you have to be very careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I'm on my second coach with the Girard Tankless water heater. The design could be much different than the AquaHot but I only used air on my last coach with it and never had an issue with damage from freezing. Last season I did run antifreeze through my current Girard unit.

Bursting of copper typically only occurs when a pipe / tubing is full of water such that when the water expands from freezing, it has no where to go and causes the pipe to burst.

If there is some residual water but plenty of air above it such that the water can expand and fill the void when it freezes, it should not damage the copper pipe / tubing.

As long as the hot water is open on each faucet when under air pressure, it should push enough water through the hot water unit so there is more air than water in the tubing and prevent any bursting.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum