Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #13
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
I am on 2 years now with the 4 T105 AGM's I installed in the Tuscany. They have held voltage and allowed me to overnight with heat and fridge and other small loads and still having enough power to brew coffee prior to generator time

Worth the money just to get rid of the corrosion but I am a heavy battery user in that we tend to cold weather camp more than hot and when we boondock we need heat all night long. If somone is a light user then you wont have the gassing off issue as bad and may be harder to justify the 3x cost.
Not having to deal with corroded cables and terminals plus the carbon steel corrosion in the compartment is enough for me to upgrade.
My previous Class A used to AGM group 31 batteries for the house. My current class A used two group 29 FLA batteries for the house and one VRLA battery for starting. I also have a golf cart with 6 group GC-8_ FLA batteries. In my opinion, if you see corrosion anywhere, you are over filling the FLA batteries. Every manufacturer of FLA batteries warns - never add water to the batteries until they are fully charged (2.13 volts per cell resting at 70 F degrees). All LA battery's positive plates grow in length and width as they discharge and the water level will drop. This is why the case bulges when a LA battery is discharged. Topping FLA batteries off in the cool morning when the batteries are 50% discharged will result in one to two tea spoons of water being pushed out of the refill caps when the battery is warm and fully charged (bulk charging the LA flooded battery will cause the electrolyte to be heated into the 110 to 120 degrees). That is why the better chargers monitor battery temperature rather than assuming the batteries are at the same temperature as the charger.

That said, equalization (over charging the battery to produce hydrogen bubbles) will cause serious out-gassing; which in-turn, will cause corrosion. Clean-up and watering are necessary after equalization. Also as FLA batteries near the end of their useful life or abused, they tend to out-gas more during charging and thus can cause considerable corrosion.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.