Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #23
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
It is an interesting question...from my experience weigh stations seem to be for commercial vehicles only. I have driven my RV through 29 states on my little adventure and have been lit up by some weigh station scales saying I must pull in. I don’t. I have never gotten a ticket in the mail or been chased down by a trooper. And they will chase you down, I know by experience.

I used to drive 18 wheelers for a living before I retired and mostly through New York, New Jersey, Pa, and Maryland. Got pulled into many weigh stations to get weighed and sometimes various stages of inspections (there are 3 levels). One time while getting inspected I asked the DOT trooper if Motorhomes were required to pull into the scales when they are open. I said the sign says All Vehicles over 10,000 lbs must enter. He said NO only commercial vehicles, I said but the sign says...he looked at me quite annoyed and before I could finish said “COMMERCIAL ONLY”.

So I don’t worry about scale houses while driving my MH. But everyone has their own comfort level with these things so do what makes you comfortable.
In the case of "All Vehicles..." if you pull in and they don't want you they just green light you across the scale. However, if you don't pull in some rookie trooper can run you down and issue a ticket because the law says "All Vehicles..." it doesn't say "All Commercial Vehicles..."

IMHO, the majority of states that require RVs to weight are ones I don't have a desire to visit anyway. I can by pass those states and spend my money elsewhere.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.