Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 09:59 PM   #15
crazylegs

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 27.2
State: Ontario
THOR #11699
I had a similar issue with my ACE 27.2, but I already had an inverter as they switched to residential fridges near the end of production. I assessed my power needs and determined that to run the AC, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, etc. I would need to run the generator. So the intent is to run the generator in the morning while I make breakfast and again for dinner if needed.

Instead of spending money on electricians and complicated wiring, I just installed what is essentially an extension cord from the inverter to the main areas required. For me that was the cabinet with the bluray player, closet lights and the kitchen counter which will reach the main TV or a crock pot in the sink while travelling. If I had a larger inverter, I could run to all of the TVs.

I used standard household 14/2 wiring, which is what is used on the 110 volt outlets. I connected a male 3 prong plug to a short piece of wire for the connection to the inverter. I then made connections in a standard deep octagon splice box, with marrets, so that I could attach it to the wood frame above the inverter. One connection was a short run to a female plug to feed the closet light. One ran to an outlet in the bluray cabinet (I used a white outlet so it is a different color than the normal outlets). The last run went to the kitchen where I installed a pop up GFI outlet into the counter top. This closes flat to the counter top so that it does not take up valuable counter space when not needed. I am still well under the 15 amp inverter fuse even if everything is running at the same time.

This eliminates any screwing around with the RV power distribution. I only have to relocate the plugs from the 110V outlets to the inverter outlets when needed. If you need more power than 15 amps, you can upsize the inverter and run a similar setup from each inverter outlet. Just ensure that you don't exceed the amperage allowed per outlet on the inverter.

If you need to connect to a slide out, you can change that feed to round stranded wiring, which is more flexible. You will need to find how the 110v wiring is installed in your slide and feed the new wiring in the same location.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.