Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Regarding new rigs versus replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
At a $1000 a piece the cost would be the deal breaker for me!!!
The price of 2 lithium 12 volt batteries would keep me in FLA batteries for the next 40-50 years.

Agree higher initial costs for lithium iron phosphate batteries is a significant disadvantage. However, I wonder if marketed as a luxury design feature that adds value to the camping experience, whether the cost difference will be that much of an obstacle.

For the typical motorhome with two flooded or AGM batteries under the step, switching to a single lithium battery of equal “usable” capacity should presently cost less than $1,000 based on retail prices, and RV manufacturers should beat that by buying in volume.

Larger motorhomes with 4 flooded or AGM batteries (which are more common to power residential refrigerators) should be upgradable to lithium for less than $2,000.

No doubt that is significant incremental costs, representing roughly 1% of motorhome price. However, if financed over many years like most RVs are purchased, buyers may gladly pay $5 to $10 extra a month if it means faster charging (less generator use), less work watering, longer storage, higher occupant and cargo carrying capacity, etc.

I expect most motorhome buyers will soon expect lithium in new rigs just as they expect other luxury features that are technically not necessary for camping; like inverters, solar, slides, leveling jacks, etc. Let’s hope that placing lithium batteries inside motorhome will make them fully functional even in winter (particularly during and after cold storage).

As with most things, entry-level motorhomes should take much longer to switch to lithium batteries based on lower initial cost alone, regardless of new standards to make adoption easier.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum