Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 03:57 AM   #20
Ford1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
Here's the quick and dirty answer. Most auto radio antennas are atached to the metal fenders of the auto which creates a sizeable ground plane which, when combined with the extended metal pole of the antenna makes for good reception. Most RV's antennas are mounted on the fiberglass roof which leaves the antenna without a ground plane. Basically, that results in less than half of an antenna. There is a method to improve reception somewhat. It would involve removing the antenna and using aluminum adhesive backed tape to fabricate a ground plane and then re-install the antenna in the middle of the newly fabricated ground plane. To notice any big difference the ground plane would need to be about 24" x 24". The same is true for the Sirius XM except the aluminum area would only need to be about 8"x8" for relatively good reception. I have made the small ground plane for my SiriusXM for my last three MH. It is much easier with the Sirius antenna because I use the small hockey puck and just glue it to the aluminum. The aluminum can be purchased at auto parts stores and comes on rolls. Just remove the paper backing to expose the adhesive.
I prefer Sirius playing because I never lose the station, no matter how far I travel.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum