Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 04:30 PM   #40
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
That’s what I thought too since we all tend to run toward the limit anyway.

If you use weight as a primary decision factor, then why would a guy like Bob trade an E-450 with 14,500 pounds GVWR for a Sprinter with only 11,030 pounds? There’s more than chassis rating to consider.

Looking solely at GVWR makes no sense at all to me unless one also considers the size and weight of the coach that’s going to be built. A typical Sprinter only 25 feet long shouldn’t be compared to a 33-foot-long Class C on an E-450.

What’s important is how much OCCC is left after the motorhome is built.

I was trying to find data on Thor 19G Class C to use as an example since it’s at very low end of size and GVWR, but couldn’t find actual weight.

Next best is Coachmen Cross Trek 20XG that is 24 feet long, and built on previous Transit chassis with 10,360-pound GVWR.

GVWR is 10,360 pounds
Weight is 8,124 pounds
OCCC is 2,236 pounds

Because the unit is smaller and built light (maybe a bit too light), the cargo carrying capacity is twice as much as some Sprinter Class Cs that have OCCC in range of 1,000 pounds or even less.

I’m certain that manufacturers could build a motorhome similar to 19G but a few feet longer if they wanted provided they put motorhome on a diet.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum