Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #30
Charles H

Brand: DRV
Model: 32TK3
State: Oregon
THOR #20845
DRV Roof Maintenance and Repair

See my postings on RV.NET My 5th wheel is a 2010 and the very thin coating of rubber sealant was coming off in different areas. You find on RV.net that a lot of people have black spots on the roof and it really does not effect the performance or the roof but just ugly.

Posted approximately 10-19-2020
Well it took me most of a week to completely re-coat my RV roof. Tuesday morning started in by hand scrubbing the entire roof with a mixture of bleach, TSP and water. I did use a pressure washer to get the dirt out from under the roof air conditioner units. Took me a good part of the day to just clean the roof. Then I started in trying to peeling off the old very thin rubber coating. Well, three and a half days later, wearing out a pair of leather gloves, I though I give it my best shot at getting off the lose old thin plastic coating.

https://henry.com/retail/white-roof-...e-roof-coating

Saturday afternoon I started getting ready to start applying the Henry 877 Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone White Roof Coating. . First off cleaned out all of the old cauking above the roof gutter and replaced it with new Henry's clacking. Then mixed the coating with a drill and poured out about quart amount in a paint tray. The Henry 877 coating pours out like the thickness of pancake syrup. Used a leaf blower to blow off any material laying on the roof. Started in using a four inch paint brush to do the corners, sides, roof pipe outlets, vents and air conditioners. Only did a 5 to 7 foot section at a time. Then used a 9 inch long by 1/2 inch nap paint roller to spread out the Henry's roof coating. Took about two to three hours to fully cover the 8 foot wide by 34 foot long 5th wheel roof with one coat. Next day applied a second coat. Used about a full 5 gallon tub/container to do two coats. Products cost about the same online or Home Depot. $239.89 for large tub of Henry's coating and $12.99 per tube of caulking.

Lessons Learned:

1. Try to apply the coating on fairly calm day. The wind can carry the coating in the air when applying it.

2. I applied the coating when the temperature was in the range of approximately mid 60's to upper 68 degrees. Sun helps, but I can not imagine trying to apply Henry's coating or any other roof coating on a day when it is approaching upper 70's degrees or higher. Too hot for me to do a roof!.

3. Weather: Have to apply the roof coating on when the roof is completely dry. Fall time and moisture in the morning is hard to dry off the roof and or have to wait for the sun to come out. Dampness or morning do can take several hours to dry off the roof.

4. Give yourself plenty of time to do a good job. The faster you try to apply the roof caulking or roof coating you are most likely of do a sloppy job and have a mess.

5. Most Important: Slow down on the roof. If you fall off you will probably spend a lot of time in the hospital recovering if you are lucky!

Conclusion: If you see from my previous post a couple of weeks ago, I did a lot of research trying to find the best product to repair/ re-coat my RV roof with. I worked like a dog for nearly a week trying to beat the Fall weather. Wished I could of done the roof repair/coating in better weather conditions. Sweating bullets all week worrying about the possibility of rainy weather. Got lucky this time around! Henry's 877 when on fine, thick enough to be impressive and I believe I made and hope I choose the right product.

* This post was last edited 10/28/20 07:32pm by Chuck .. * View edit history

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.