Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
DavidEM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quality lithium batteries finally competitive

Price is a main factor in my interest in converting from inexpensive flooded lead acid (FLA) batteries to either AGMs or LiFePO4 batteries.

Inexpensive FLAs are available in Group 27 or 31 size with an amp hour rating of 80-100. These can be bought for about $100 each.

AGMs which have several advantages can be bought for about $200 each.

High quality, name Li batteries such as Battle Borns can be bought for about $900 each.

But there is a new sheriff in town, SOK batteries, that offers a 100 Ah Li for $599 and is sold on Amazon. The Li battery geek (don't know his name) evaluates batteries with sophisticated instrumentation and testing and he opens them up and checks out the internal BMS and assembly quality. The SOK got top marks from him. See .

As the geek notes there are lots of low cost Li batteries on the market and many of those that he has evaluated are crap. This is the first one that passes his tests with flying colors. He also evaluates another Li on this video that gets high marks and is even cheaper. But its fabricated aluminum case looks like something assembled in a garage (and like the original Apple I, probably was). I waited for the Apple II to come out and will pass on this one as well.

A pair of the SOKs should easily fit into most modest size MH battery boxes under the steps and should at least double your battery capacity. When our new Axis arrives, depending on what kind of batteries it comes with, I will strongly consider adding these.

Looks like we are finally seeing significant price movement that should make installing Li batteries much easier to swallow for all.

David

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.