Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: license renewal
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 06:23 AM   #22
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So let me get this straight:

My name is Bill Hates and I have a few dollars to my name.

I own a house in Washington state and keep 2 vehicles there for my personal use.

I also have a house in Texas, Connecticut, and Florida, all of which I keep one or two of my personal vehicles there for personal use. Let's not even get into my house and cars in the Bahamas.

I only have my Washington state drivers license as I can drive anywhere in the US and in most countries around the world with it.

Are you telling me I can't register my Texas, Connecticut and Florida vehicles in the location where they are housed and driven because I have a Washington Drivers License?
And that no insurance company will insure those vehicle where they are housed and driven because I have a Washington state Drivers License?

That sure makes it difficult for me and my friends in similar circumstances to drive legally at our vacation homes with our vacation vehicles.

Signed - Your Friend Bill
I've been down this road....

We split time between FL and PA. I have a FL drivers license since Florida is my legal residence. My wife has a PA license using our PA address as her legal residence.

We do this because it is much easier when it comes to dealing with vehicles. We have a vehicle in FL but it is my name and it had to be titled and registered in FL.

We have a vehicle in PA but it is in her name because they would not title it and register it in PA in my name.

When we bought our last coach we put it in both names. That gave us the flexibility to register it in FL or PA. I chose PA because insurance is cheaper in PA because there is now surcharges for hurricanes, tropical storms, etc. I store the coach in PA and we use that as our RV basecamp because I have indoor storage in PA and it will take less abuse from the brutal FL summer heat.

I deal with two insurance agents. One in PA and one in FL because one can't offer insurance in both states. I even ended up getting rid of my umbrella policy because the insurance companies did not want to deal with property and vehicles from two states.

Now that being said.... I have friends who have homes in FL. They drove their cars down from PA and parked them at their FL homes permanently. PA is still there residence so they have a DL from there and the cars are registered and titled there. They get their registration renewal from PA. PA requires vehicle inspections but FL does not. Their vehicle inspections have been expired for years and FL does not care as long as the vehicle has a valid registration. I'm not sure their PA insurance agents would be happy that the car is registered in PA but parked and used in FL.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum