Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 03:55 AM   #6
ducksface

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A spare tire fits very nicely in the rear most drivers side hatch. You can store hoses and stuff on top of it. It's always clean and you can store the torn up tire there. The problem with the underslung tire is
'what will you do with the blowout that will not go back up there?'
Even if you talk the tow driver into dismounting the mangled spare and taking it with them, you'll have to store the bare wheel.
You'll have to put it, the carcasses and wheel or just the wheel, in the rv living area or you'll have to put it in that rear most drivers side hatch....
All in all I think the tire takes up only 3 cubic feet of space.

Or
Etrailer sells a hitch mount spare carrier for under $100. They also have front hitches that bolt on easily if you want.

I wouldn't worry about an 85lb ish tire throwing off hitch and towing weight suggestions.
They are guidelines, not rules of physics.

The good news is the tire size on the 24.1 is the same tire size as on newer jeeps. Almost every tire shop will have one. Then you'll just have a mismatched branded spare.

So...
This all makes carrying a spare a time saver and nothing much else.
If you didn't bend the rim, 80 percent of places can bring a tire to you.

I carry a spare and I carry a Torque multiplier in case the person they send to change my tire doesn't have an adequate tool for removal.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum